By Jeff Salter
I’m delighted to welcome my very first Guest Fox on the Thursday ‘Hound’ Day for this relatively new blog. But this is not just any ole fox — I’ve booked the talented, energetic, and lovely Tonya Kappes!
Tonya has stories out in two anthologies from Turquoise Morning Press and this industrious author also has FIVE new books scheduled for release in the upcoming months. [See her titles and links in the bio sketch below].
As a bonus, Tonya brought along some music! Not exactly a golden oldie, but a catchy cross-over classic.
With no further delay, please welcome Guest Fox Tonya Kappes:
About President’s Day
By Tonya Kappes
When hound dog, Jeff, asked if I would guest post on Four Foxes and A Hound, I couldn’t resist to say YES! But when he emailed back to say it was about President’s Day…I thought, “no wonder, he wants out of this one.”
I’ve always tried to keep anything political (including my choice for president) out of writing and blogging. I find it doesn’t make good for the old branding image and potential readers. So I decided against talking politics.
then, I thought about the time I was PTA president. Cue Jeannie C. Riley please….
Yes! I was Stella Johnson of my son’s school. Needless to say, I didn’t get coke machines in school or candy bar in the lunch line, but I did make one helluva yearbook. And I decided not to write about that…because it wasn’t as glamorous as I thought it was going to be.
I still didn’t know what to write about for President’s week blog for my dear friend, Chuck…err…Jeff, until I tied it to writing. One thing I do know, I love to write and read funny blogs and President’s week blog is hitting me below the knees and I took to the internet.
I googled Presidents or facts about Presidents (do you capitalize Presidents?), anyways, I found some really funny facts that might interest you, if not…at least you’ll smile!
- “Washington, DC is 12 square miles bordered by reality.” – Andrew Johnson
- “Man cannot live by bread alone; he must have peanut butter.” – James A. Garfield
- “I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family.” – George W. Bush
- “I know only two tunes: One of them is ‘Yankee Doodle’ and the other isn’t.” – Ulysses S. Grant
- “An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and doesn’t care who wins.”- Dwight D. Eisenhower
- “Being president is like running a cemetery: you’ve got a lot of people under you and nobody’s listening.” –Bill Clinton
- “Politics makes me sick.” – William Howard Taft
- “Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.” – Thomas Jefferson
- “You lose.” – Calvin Coolidge after a woman told him she made a bet that she could get at least three words of conversation from him
- “If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.” -Harry Truman
- “The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.'” – Ronald Reagan
One more fun fact: President’s Day was originally to honor our first President, George Washington’s birthday. He was our first president and turned sixty-five years old while in office. The country wanted to celebrate the “father of our country” and named the day in honor of him.
Abe Lincoln sauntered into the picture and the nation LOVED him. So, they didn’t just want to celebrate Washington on Washington’s birthday, so they decided to honor Lincoln’s birthday after he was assassinated.
Washington’s birthday was celebrated every year on February 22nd, until 1971 when congress thought it’d be a great idea just to make PRESIDENT’S DAY as we know it, the third Monday every February.
Hmm…little did you know this High-Class Hillbilly had a few knowledgeable facts up her overalls!
Tonya Kappes is the co-founder of The Naked Hero: http://thenakedhero.com/ , and The Writer’s Guide to E-publishing : http://thewritersguidetoepublishing.com/. She is the author of Masked Souls and Another Quirky Christmas in the anthologies Something Spooky This Way Comes and Believe. Tonya co-authored The Tricked Out Toolbox~Promotional and Marketing Tools Every Writer Needs, available April 2011. Her women’s fiction novel Carpe Bead ‘Em will be released May 23, 2011 and The Ladybug Jinx July 4, 2011 through Turquoise Morning Press. Never Tell Your Dreams Before Breakfast will be self published in August 2011 as well as Happy New Life in November 2011. Visit her today at TonyaKappes.com , http://twitter.com/, and http://www.facebook.com/.