As you probably know, I’ve been working on a story involving Bigfoot at an excruciatingly slow pace. Evidence needs to be painstakingly gathered, blurry and out of focus videos need to be watched. You know how it goes.
Well, here’s what happens when you name your computer file after an elusive, potentially-mythical creature:
It’s hard to find.
You know it exists, but you can’t prove it.
Welcome to my first adventure back into writing after summer vacation.
My fellow writer, Tess Grant, and I decided to have a mini writing retreat to celebrate our kids being back in school. We met at the library. I pulled out the notes I had handwritten and prepared to type them into the computer. I happily added 600 words to my manuscript. Then I realized that there were 2 copies of my manuscript in the file, so I deleted one.
(You should feel a dark, scary tremor in the pit of your stomach right now.)
Somehow, by the mysteries of computer files, my manuscript was completely gone.
No problem, I thought, my program automatically backs up. It’s somewhere. I checked the various backup locations and cloud drives. The files either wouldn’t open or where 6 months old. Six months old, I could probably deal with, but there had to be something newer, right? Right?!
So I went home praying that there was a gremlin in the library that was preventing me from finding my newest file. I checked externals drives and found nothing newer. Then I found this wonderful thing in Windows 10 called File History. As long as you have it turned on, it keeps copies of your files at whatever interval you set. Luckily I had mine set for daily.
The manuscript was back… with its gremlins. I couldn’t get the second copy of Bigfoot to go away. I’d move some of it and it would appear somewhere else. I’d copy and paste and it’d appear somewhere else. It was maddening.
I finally gave up and copied out the manuscript into a new, hopefully gremlin-free file… which I named Sasquatch.
With the promise of blueberry bagels, it has remained well-behaved.